Claims, disputes, litigation and negotiated settlements
If you suffer an injury arising ‘out of or in the course of’ your employment’, during a break at work, during travel related to work or otherwise related to your work – you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits under the Return to Work Act (NT) (the Act).
The Act defines an “injury” for the purposes of workers’ compensation entitlements – and it’s not necessarily straightforward. Work must be the cause of the injury, or a substantial contributing factor, for a worker to be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. We can assist with assessment and management of all stages of the claims process.
Free initial phone consultations
We offer free initial phone consults for all potential workers’ compensation matters.
We can assist with your queries, claims and disputes by:
- advising on whether you have a claim and any entitlement to compensation;
- assisting with making a workers’ compensation claim;
- advising you as to what workers’ compensation benefits you can claim under the Act, and ensuring you are receiving all of your entitlements;
- providing advice and assistance in disputes with the workers’ compensation insurer, including in situations where your benefits have been ceased or reduced, or when the insurer has refused to fund something you think you are entitled to;
- advising in relation to settlements, and negotiating overall lump sum settlements of your workers’ compensation claim entitlements;
- arranging and assisting with whole person impairment assessments and re-assessments by suitable medical experts.
If you have an accepted workers’ compensation claim and the insurer has or is proposing to take steps to reduce your benefits, we can assess, advise and assist you.
We can also assist in facilitating a lump sum financial settlement of your workers’ compensation claim entitlements, from negotiating and advice on settlement amounts to exchange of settlement deeds and payment to you.
Workers’ compensation claims are complex
For certain matters, we can work for you on a ‘no win, no fee’ costs agreement. Please contact us with your enquiry and we can discuss.
Experienced workers’ compensation lawyers
Bill Piper and our team of lawyers have substantial experience in workers’ compensation claims and can support you through the process.